On Mon, Jun 12, 2006 at 02:16:56AM +0200, Felix C. Stegerman wrote:
> * Kenward Vaughan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2006-06-11 18:34]:
> > On Sun, Jun 11, 2006 at 11:42:19PM +0200, Felix C. Stegerman wrote:

> > > Have you tried purging all CUPS packages and reconfiguring all
> > > printers?  That worked for me.
> >
> > Yes and yes.  No change.  Includes reboots in between. What I don't
> > know is whether there is another package outside of the "regular"
> > cupsys ones which may be leaving traces of something about, messing up
> > the purge.  Basically, I hit all the cups\* listed as installed.
> >
> > It is also weird that CUPS identifies my usb printer (the Epson) with
> > /dev/lp0, which is a parallel port.
>
> That is rather odd indeed.
>
> > I'm wondering whether there is some problem with udev or the like.
> > There is no /dev/usb directory, unlike the information below suggests.
> > Is this because of the existence of the /udev/.static directory???
> >
> > Again, my system sees the printers properly (via hwinfo)
>
> Something I just thought of: you could install cups-pdf and see
> whether you can print to PDF files.  That way you'd be able to find
> out if CUPS works at all.

This set up well and works.  Thanks for the suggestion, Felix--I can at
least boot into Winblows now to print files.  (I had had this installed
earlier, as I use it to print pdf's for my classes.  Now, it's for
internal use!  ;-)

So...  ???  I'll update my bug report.

Kenward
--
In a completely rational society, the best of us would aspire to be
_teachers_ and the rest of us would have to settle for something less,