On Wed, 2006-06-14 at 15:16 +0200, Juergen Erhard wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 14, 2006 at 03:27:38AM -0400, Kamaraju Kusumanchi wrote:
> > On Wednesday 14 June 2006 03:04, Brent Clark wrote:
> > > Sorry, couldnt resist
> > >
> > > http://www.tectonic.co.za/view.php?id=1026
> >
> > After reading this sentence in the above article
> >
> > "Once again I should have probably read the manual, but I figured I've done
> > this before."
> >
> > I think there is no need to give any importance to his review. IMHO, If
> > someone does not take time to read a manual then it is not even worth
> > considering his opinions/rant on a new release.
>
> I disagree.  It all depends on the target audience.  If you target those of
> little technical inclination, then an upgrade path that requires reading
> upgrade notes for *important* things, is not really a good idea.

So, since GNOME in general is targeting Windows Users, you are saying
that Windows Users just Upgrade all willy nilly and never get burn't?

I have some very catastrophic news for, Average Joe Six-pack Windows
users just go ahead and upgrade to newer versions of windows. Many,
Many, Many of them lose everything and have to re-format and re-install.

Then they can;t get it to work because they don't have drivers for that
new fangled Disk controller supplied with Windows. They then bring the
machine to "Best Buy's Geek Squad" and get charged $300 to re-format and
reload Windows. Even if there was software pre-installed on the machine,
they will not get it back with the R&R.

I have to say, your assumption that any upgrade HAS to go perfect even
for important things, is far from what *IS* happening in the Windows
World Right NOW. Sure, Linux would be nice. But in the long run,
technical knowledge or at least the ability to comprehend what a dialog
says will be and fully is needed to successfully upgrade you OS on your
machine.

We can draw the analogy about computers and cars, Where Windows upgrade
on a computer, would be akin to putting a really different and much more
complicated Engine and transmission in the car. Which one would you
expect to read the manual? Me? I'd expect both. But then I'd also expect
to have to fix many cars with "upgrade" problems, just like I fix many
computers with upgrade problems.

> And generally, here's hoping DD's don't treat bug reports the same way
> (sadly, some do).

Some DDs don't even acknowledge/close a fixed bug, 3-4 years after its
been fixed.
--
greg, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

The technology that is
Stronger, Better, Faster: Linux

Use Debian GNU/Linux, its a bazaar thing

NOTICE: Due to Presidential Executive Orders, the
National Security Agency may have read this email
without warning, warrant, or notice, and certainly
without probable cause. They may do this without
any judicial or legislative oversight. You have no
recourse nor protection.