On Sun, Sep 09, 2007 at 12:25:59PM -0700, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 09, 2007 at 09:15:32PM +0200, Nigel Henry wrote:
> > This has got more than a joke now. We are being bombarded with s-x spam yet
> > again.
>
> > Sorry if this sounds a bit sarcastic, but I'm feeling sarcastic at the
> > moment,
> > as I don't want this cr-p on my machine.
>
> I know this doesn't really help you, but I've seen a *massive*
> increase in spam hitting my one server in the last couple of
> days. Previously I was seeing something like 50 spam a day hitting me
> (this is after clamav kicks out the virus laden ones, so its not an
> absolute number). In the last couple of days, I've seen that number
> pretty much quadruple to around 200 per day. My false negatives have
> gone up correspondingly as well from a couple getting through
> spamassassin per day to something like 30-50 getting past s-a.

> Not only has the overall number gone up, but the effectiveness has
> gone up by an order of magnitude.
>
> I wonder if this is a side-effect of the mis-named Storm Worm activity
> that's going on right now.

We perodically have a thread about spam on the list.  I wonder why we
don't have posting only by registered users.  Note that I don't mean
subscribed people since not everyone who posts wants to receive the
list.  If the policy was that absolutley anyone could sign up to post
(including automatically anyone subscribed) but that the right to post
is suspended if spam comes from them, I don't see the problem.

Sure, a spammer can fake the headers so that a spam looks like it came
from a registered user but surely there's a way around that.

Doug.