-----Original Message-----
From: Andrew Sackville-West [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Mon 10/15/2007 9:30 PM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Can't upgrade to xserver-xorg, help!

On Mon, Oct 15, 2007 at 09:21:51PM +0300, Emre Sevinc wrote:

>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm using Debian unstable, Linux debian 2.6.11-1-686 kernel and I haven't
>> upgraded for a while and now decided to instal xorg
>> so I have run (after quitting X and from a terminal):

> if you're sources are still pointing at sid/unstable, then you're so
> far behind that you're really going to have problems. What I recommend
> you do is change your sources to point to etch/stable. Do an apt-get
> update && apt-get dist-upgrade and provide us with the results
> verbatim. This would allow us to help you get moved from your very out
> of date sid to the current stable. Once that's sorted, then you can
> move on to sid if you like.

OK, I have edited sources list file and pointed it to the stable version and
then did an apt-get update and then apt-get dist-upgrade, it told me I needed
apt-get -f install so I did that and it became ready to install and remove some
packages.

However I have realized that among the packages apt-get wants to install is:

linux-image-2.6.18-5-k7

But according to cat /proc/cpuinfo my CPU is GenuineIntel, Intel(R) Celeron(R)
CPU 2.4 Ghz; so I stopped the apt-get because my CPU does not seem to be an AMD.

Should I continue with the process and let it try to install a kernel image for
k7? Or is there a way to make it choose linux-image-2.6-18-5-686? (previously I
have used -686 kernel images and now I'm a little bit confused).

Hope you can enlighten me. :)

--
Emre Sevinc