On Wed, Oct 17, 2007 at 09:54:17 -0700, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 17, 2007 at 04:42:52PM +0200, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 17, 2007 at 12:09:46 +0300, Emre Sevinc wrote:

[...]

> > > I hope once I get past this point I can continue with installing a new
> > > kernel and xserver-xorg as Andrew Sackville-West suggested, right?
>
> note please, that I'm encouraging you to actually get your whole
> system upgraded, not just installing xorg.
>

> > Probably, but there might be some other problems still waiting for you,
> > for example related to the transition to udev.
> >

> I think he's past that already. Wasn't that kernel 2.6.8? he's up to
> 2.6.11 already.

I think there was an additional compatibility-breaking change around
kernel version 2.6.15, with older versions of udev not working with the
newer kernels. The newer versions of udev were not backwards compatible
with the old kernels either, IIRC. (I should have written "transition
*of* udev", though.)

> Emre, you may just be better served to reinstall at this point. Its
> likely to just be easier. Your system can certainly be recovered, but
> it may not be worth the effort for anything other than a learning
> experience.

          Florian   |