Nate Duehr wrote:
Bret Busby wrote:
As an example, for one country, to read the news, I have a bookmark set that I use, that has 32 URL's, so that I have at least 32 tabs open in the browser window for the news for that country. As I open links for news stories, I can have tabs open, that go off the right hand edge of the screen. I have just opened an extra tab, in that particular browser window, that went to the right edge opf the screen, and that was a count of 41 tabs open in that browser window.

41 webpages open and you're experiencing problems. Gee, there's a big surprise. You're somewhat pushing the bounds of sanity at that point, for just about any browser.

    Nate, that's not very helpful.  In fact tip-toeing directly into rude.

(And my interest in helping with your problem just vanished completely. I can't read 41 pages at a time, and neither can you.

Says who? Who says you have to actively read 41 pages at a time. Hate to break it to you but when tabbed browsing came into being with Opera almost half a decade ago I found a litmus test for proper tabbed browsing to be the ability to open a folder of bookmarks in tabs with one click. Something that Phoenix ne Firebird ne Firefox ala Iceweasel didn't have for many, many revisions after it got tabbed browsing.

For my part I like reading the traditional syndicated comics as well as web comics through my browser. I have a folder with 20 comics in it. I click 1 button, hover my mouse over the X to close the tab and read. Simple matter of read, click, read, click, never have to move my mouse and I get my daily dose of comics.

Is that 41 tabs? No. Am I reading them all at once? No. Is it damn convenient? Yes. Would I expect it to handle 41 tabs? Yes. I've had more than that open when I browse sites like deviantart.com where I hit someone's gallery or favorites and just CNTL-Click to throw what looks interesting into the background for later perusal.

Just because you haven't found the usefulness of a large number of tabs does not make it unusual or "pushing the bounds of sanity." Esp. not when the OP has 2Gb to play with.

> Perhaps you
might argue that the software should handle it perfectly, but at that level of insanity, I certainly don't care anymore... as one user to another -- since I'm not a developer or package maintainer

Might I suggest since you're neither a developer or a package maintainer to keep your insults to yourself? Be helpful or be gone.

I'd recommend the old adage of "Doctor it hurts when I do this!" probably applies. "Then don't do that.")

How about "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all"?

Bret, no clue on what's up with your experience. Nate had some good suggestions with strace and trying nightly builds so don't let his idiocy deter you from exploring those avenues. As it stands though Iceweasel can handle the 20 comic pages on my dinky little laptop (256Mb RAM) and Firefox on my game machine (WinXP, 1Gb RAM) regularly has 40-50 tabs open without major problems. So I don't think you're beyond the pale on tabs, esp. with 2Gb of RAM to play with. Not sure what's opening the extra windows though.

       PGP Key: 1FC01004       |   And dream I do...