On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 11:03 PM, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Monday 17 November 2008, "s. keeling" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
> about 'Re: Q: List Policy':
> >Perhaps we need one of the listmasters to enforce the usage
> >guidelines?  Post HTML or Cc: too often, and ...
> >
> >Nah.  Dumb idea.
>
> Well, there has to be some punishment for not following the rules, or
> people won't follow them, right?
>
> It would be nice for the list to auto-respond to any HTML posting with
> a "You've posted HTML, which is against list policy, please configure your
> client to send plain text email." message.  Following that notice would be
> instruction on how to do this for various clients, and instructions for
> who to email with corrections if the instructions are wrong or incomplete.

I used to be rabid about plain text emails (and still use pine), but
are there really email clients out there which can't handle
multi-content emails (pine now deals OK with html mail)?  Are there
clients sending emails which don't offer the alternative content
(plain or html)?  I know gmail sends both, and I think it does so in a
standards-compliant way.

I think this may be a battle lost.

Patrick