On 2009-03-22 11:52, Christofer C. Bell wrote:
On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 11:40 AM, Ron Johnson <ron.l.john...@cox.net> wrote:

On 2009-03-22 11:45, Chris Bannister wrote:

Bottom posting of course is just as bad or worse than top posting.

The only person who can say that with a straight face is one who has spent
too much time using Windows.

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

This isn't true.  Come enter the 21st Century, it started nearly a decade
ago. ;-)  Top posting works well in a modern threaded mail reader (all of
which, incidentally, support HTML email).  Because *you* are a curmudgeon
doesn't mean everyone else has to be. ;-)

I'm proud to be a middle-aged hater of gmail, Outlook, file managers and over-reliance on GUIs, and lover of OpenVMS, bash, xnethack and apt-get.

Your example looks like this in a threaded mail reader:

Mail 1: Q: What is the most annoying thing in e-mail?
Mail 2: A: Top-posting.
Mail 3: Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
Mail 4: A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read
text.

Having used a threaded MUA for 15 years, I can confidently say that no MUA reorganizes posts.

It looks no different than a discussion forum or other normal conversation.
 In fact, reading bottom-posted threads in a *modern mail reader* is
annoying as it forces the reader to display a bunch of extraneous
unnecessary text (the quoted material).  I just read it in the previous
post, I don't need to see it again.

Emails, unlike web forum posts, tend to get deleted. Thus, retaining context is useful. Another reason to retain context: even for people who retain all their email, long multi-branched threads can make it hard to find a post's parent.

I bottom-post out of force of habit, however, it's archaic and generally
unnecessary.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA