In <20090524145214.ga16...@cat.rubenette.is-a-geek.com>, lee wrote:
>On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 10:15:36PM -0500, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
>> It's really a KDE problem, although the solution will probably cause
>> some trouble for the Debian packaging team as well.  Especially
>> minimizing the amount of configuration required while still allowing
>> multiple possible backends.
>
>That isn't really the problem.
>don't want to run an akonadi server either, whatever that is.

Oh, then you don't want to run those parts of KDE; They require a connection
to an Akonadi server.  They've been scheduled to since before KDE 4.0 was
available.

If you don't want to run any "servers" then you don't want to run Gnome
(ORBit = CORBA server), KDE 3 (dcopserver), Xfce (notifications go via the
DBus server) or X11 (xorg is an X11 server).

>Why don't they save the data in human readable text files in users'
>home directories without needing all kinds of external server
>software?

Performance, cross-referencing, and indexing.

>It's not like I had 500000 appointments or a company with
>thousands of users for which a central database server to store
>appointments might make sense.

The applications and frameworks are designed to work for individuals with
few appointments and also scale to the largest groupware installations.

>Even if I had that, the installation
>doesn't ask if I want to use a mysql server on another host.

But, it will be possible to set that up in the future.

>Besides, entrusting important information to a particular application
>is not an option. If I had done that over the last 15 years, I'd
>probably have lost that information several times or it would have at
>least become inaccessable.

Not if the file format was public.  I can understanding not using a format
that can't be processed without a particular piece of software, but the on-
disk format used by MySQL is public information.  You don't have to use
MySQL to access.  You can write your own software or pay someone to write
the software for you without the blessing or control of MySQL.
b...@iguanasuicide.net                  ((_/)o o(\_))