On Thu, Jan 07, 2010 at 04:19:14PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> Roger Leigh wrote:
> > % setfacl -m g:www-data:rx ~ ~/public_html
>
> Many web servers are configured to run user-supplied CGI scripts as
> www-data, so this approach is not particularly secure.

I have not much experience of running web servers; this was just
intended as an example.  However, I'm not sure why it's insecure
over the alternative of having it world readable?  What is the
actual minimal requirement for access by the web server?  Surely
it's representable in some form of ACL.

Once could just give execute perm to ~ and maybe additionally
read as well to ~/public_html?

Regards,
Roger

--