I am subscribed to the list; so all e-mails sent to the list are
forwarded to me.  There is no need to CC me.  Doing so gives me two
copies.

On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 05:04:49 -0500 (EST), Cecil Knutson wrote:
> How would I find out if something else is wrong with the installation?

I really don't know.  I've just never seen epiphany or iceweasel hang
as you describe, especially on such an innocuous site as
http://www.debian.org.  Is your PC fairly new?  Lenny became the stable
release in February of 2009, and it was frozen in August of 2008.
If your hardware is fairly new then Lenny might not have drivers new
enough.  You might need to try Squeeze, the current testing release.

> I've gone through the "Testing" section of your page to no avail.
> Alsamixer on this machine does not have any settings for CD, FM, nor DSP.

That's not necessarily a problem.  CD is for
traditional analog CD playback.  Hardware vendors tend to skimp.
They may expect you to play CDs using the "ripping" method, which
involves reading the audio CD as digital data and sending it to
the PCM device.  FM is for FM synthesis.  Many newer machines don't
have an FM synthesizer.  They may have a wavetable synthesizer or
they may expect you to do MIDI synthesis in software, using something
like timidity.  DSP is for a digital signal processor.  The DSP is
usually there to support an internal "winmodem".  Many newer machines have
no internal modem.

> It has IEC958 C,F,R; Analog C,F,R,S and Capture.  I set them all for 100%
> and unmuted IEC958.

No PCM device?  That's a problem.  No PCM, no sound.  It's got to
have a PCM device.

> Still no sound out of any of the ports.  I saw
> nothing in the syslog about sound errors or failures, but I didn't see any
> alsa starting.  May have missed it.  I installed the Gnome sounds,
> rebooted, opened Preferences-Sound; selected System Sounds, clicked on
> "Play"...no sound.

You've got to walk before you can run.  Never mind GNOME system sounds
for now.  Go back and check alsamixer again.  If there's no PCM device,
in alsamixer there's no hope.  Output of "lsmod" would be useful.
Please provide that.  Normally, the PCI hot-plug system will identify
the sound chip and load the appropriate kernel module.  We need to
check to see if it's loaded.

> I haven't configured Alsa for PCM software mixing as I
> didn't get any sound after the Gnome configuration.  Would it help?  Oh,
> yeah...the selection in "Default Mixer Tracks" is CA0106(Alsa mixer), if
> it makes any difference.

Again, you've got to crawl first, then walk, then run.  Let's hold off
on that.  Step 1 is to provide the output of lsmod.  Let's make sure
that an appropriate kernel sound module is loaded.  Also, it would help
if you would provide, as specifically as possible, the Make and model
of your computer, the make and model of your soundcard, and especially,
the audio chipset(s) used on your sound card.  I know you provided some
info in your initial post, but please try to include all of that info
in the follow-up post.