On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 9:44 PM, prad <p...@towardsfreedom.com> wrote:

Chris Brennan <xa...@xaerolimit.net> writes:

> > CDDL isn't a BSD Licence, it's the licence that's used by what was Sun
> > Microsystems and is now Oracle.
> >
> sorry my mistake for thinking zfs was bsd (even after you said it was
> cddl)! i was confusing it with the fact that you can use zfs via
> freebsd). thx for the correction.
>
> i looked it up and the key point for me is that
> "The Free Software Foundation considers it a free software license that
> is incompatible with the GNU General Public License (GPL)."
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Development_and_Distribution_License
>
> > The BSD Licence and GNU can co-exists quite
> > well and have for a very long time.
> >
> i'd forgotten this largely i think due to some of the hostility
> demonstrated on the excellent freebsd mailist towards gpl (a few years
> ago).
>
> i guess this is also why you can actually have debian/freebsd then.
> furthermore, we bridge the incompatibilities perhaps:
>
> zfs --> cddl||bsd --> bsd||gpl --> debian(gpl)/freebsd(bsd)
>
> i'm not up on the licensing protocols so i'm just guessing here.

No worries, couldn't hurt to read up on CDDL[1], *BSD[2] Licences and
GNU/GPL[3]. As for your general Filesystem needs, XFS or XFS-LVM is probably
the smart way to go.

You mentioned something about doing this on USB (solid-state?) storage? You
might want to also consider reading up on USB's general policy about write
few, read many. In a nutshell, most USB devices don't like to be written to
many many times (such as a busy *primary* FS). They have a limited
shelf-life of writes )wear leveling) before they go bad (I have an OCZ ATV
rubber thumb drive that has suffered this.) This is why they tell you
defragmenting SSD's is a *VERY* bad idea, you significantly reduce the write
ability of the device.[4][5][6]

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Development_and_Distribution_License
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BSD_licenses
[3] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_General_Public_License