On Jo, 21 apr 11, 22:10:10, Chris Brennan wrote:

You mentioned something about doing this on USB (solid-state?) storage? You
might want to also consider reading up on USB's general policy about write
few, read many.

I assume this "read many, write few" idea applies to all SSD drives. There seems to be differing recommendations about the extent to worry about configuring SSD drives and I'm wondering what people here think and do.

Some links I've found with differing opinions:

http://robert.penz.name/137/no-swap-partition-journaling-filesystem-on-a-ssd/

http://opentechnow.blogspot.com/2010/02/linux-ssd-optimization-guide.html

The first is from 2008, whereas the second is 2010. Are the 2008 thoughts out-of-date, and therefore go with the latter?

I'm running ext3 with an SSD drive in a laptop (Debian Squeeze) with LVM and disk-encryption. Already added noatime to fstab, but haven't made other changes because I'm not sure how to balance the risks vs. gains.

Thanks for any thoughts and your time.