On 24 April 2011 14:01, Zoran Kolic <zko...@sbb.rs> wrote:

> > But with the BSDs?
> > Not a chance!
> > With FreeBSD and PC-BSD it is dropped at the USB register stage of both
> the
> > install and all consequent boots after O.S. install - so it's in the
> > mothercode.
>
> I assume the topic is on install to the hdd? Not using usb
> hard drive as a storage?

Not quite. With this set-up, I wanted the home partition on the external
drive.

> It all depends on the possibility to boot from mobo via usb
> device. Some older boards are not prone to let it go.

That is a potential candidate, because allthe installs mentione were on a
laptop - HP nx6120 - which is now almost six years old.

> Almost
> all modern do the trick. During install process, you could
> choose hard drive you want to install to and where you want
> boot loader to reside.
> If used as a storage device, usb hdd is just fine as it shows
> in /dev directory. Freebsd has dynamic /dev and, after some
> time, it is there as dax or daxsy (aka da0 or da0s1). Then
> you could mount it with something like:
>  mount_msdosfs -l /dev/da0 /my_directory

This was the problem. It showed up nowhere. If it had, I would have been
able to mount it somehow, but I couldn't because as far as the O.S. was
concerned, it didn't exist. With Debian, no problem! I'm writing to it now.
But no chance with BSD.

> In my case, I found that some cheap enclosures are not able to
> boot from mobo, but some integrated, branded, are. If you
> know the exact number, search forums for "boot linux usb hdd"
> or similar.
> Best regards

Thanks, Zoran.
Regards,