On 04/24/2011 01:13 AM, Ron Johnson wrote:
> Grrrr.
>
> BACKUPS are a must-do for anyone who values their data.

Very true. But RAID is a useful first measure. One of my disks (a
Western Digital!) failed, and thanks to md I was up and running as soon
as I bought the replacement (well, before that, but I didn't want to
risk running a degraded array).

What about RAID + LVM snapshots? Is that almost as good a real backup?
It covers:
a) Hardware failures,
b) Accidental file deletions, corruptions,
c) Hosted filesystem (e.g. ext3) failures.
But doesn't cover:
a) LVM filesystem failures,
b) LVM and RAID driver problems.
But how likely are these if you are running Stable and don't go messing
with the partition table?

BTW, what type of backups do you use? It takes 5 DVDs just for my photo
collection!

--
Regards
    Panayiotis Karabassis