On Saturday 11 June 2011 09:10:53 Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Jo, 09 iun 11, 09:33:43, Lisi wrote:
> > > # This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
> > > # and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).
> > >
> > > # The loopback network interface
> > > auto lo
> > > iface lo inet loopback
> > >
> > > # The primary network interface
> > > allow-hotplug eth0
> > > #NetworkManager#iface eth0 inet dhcp
> >
> > Give the second of these a line to itself.
> >
> > #NetworkManager
> > #iface eth0 inet dhcp
> >
> > This second of these lines is your problem.  You are telling the
> > system to use dhcp.
>
> Not really, lines starting with '#' are only comments and don't do
> anything.

Yes - as I sent it I thought: oh, bother, I failed to point out that not only
did it not achieve what he wanted, but it wasn't actually doing anything.

But he wanted static anyway.

As for your other points, again, yes you are obviously right.  But I have had
it for years and it works and I am a great believer in: if it ain't broke,
don't fix it. ;-)

> > You want iface eth0 inet static and then the settings.  Here is mine:
> >
> > iface eth1 inet static
> >         address 192.168.0.2
> >         netmask 255.255.255.0
> >         network 192.168.0.0
> >         broadcast 192.168.0.255
>
> BTW, 'network' and 'broadcast' are not really needed, since they can be
> calculated based on 'address' and 'netmask' ;)
>
> >         gateway 192.168.0.1
> >         # dns-* options are implemented by the resolvconf package, if
> > installed
> >         dns-nameservers 212.23.3.100 212.23.6.100
>
> As the comment implies, the 'dns-nameserves' line needs the package
> resolvconf, otherwise you'll have to edit /etc/resolv.conf directly. I
> prefer resolvconf, because I have all network configurations in one
> place ;)

Lisi