I'll be glad when I can get away from web mail and post directly to the list
instead of sending them direct by mistake.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Heddle Weaver <weaver2wo...@gmail.com>
Date: 22 August 2011 10:09
Subject: Re: Fwd: Billion 7800N
To: Andrew McGlashan <andrew.mcglas...@affinityvision.com.au>

On 21 August 2011 21:02, Andrew McGlashan <
andrew.mcglas...@affinityvision.com.au> wrote:

> Hi,

Hello,

> I've read the thread completely.  It seems clear to me that you have had
> networking issues where you've had an IP and then not had an IP.  If you
> have a fully working TCP/IP V4 stack, then I'm sure you'll see success.

Well, yes, but a lot of what I'm reading from plog is along the lines of:
'modem not detected' or 'serial port closed'. This tells me that at least
part of the problem is local. Probably a short circuit in the legend between
the keyboard and the chair.

> Have you tried a live cd?

Tried to download an ISO (Vector Linux), but can't hold a connection long
enough.

> Pressing the reset button on the Billion modems, usually resets to factory
> default, it doesn't always work -- but for sure it does work most of the
> time.

Yes, usually holding it depressed for ten seconds works.

> You've also shown evidence of PPP in your setup, unless you wish to use
> bridge mode, you shouldn't have anything in relation to ppp in your Linux
> setup.

This is something I'm just getting onto. I didn't think a lot on it
initially because I have no intention of rigging up dial-up. I don't have a
modem for that and I don't even know what the number is at present. I have
to look in /var/~run to see what's being said.

Most of the data is pasted to mousepad and saved to a flash drive, then
posted on a windows machine about a mile from where I live, so it's a long
process.
Thanks.
Regards,

Weaver.