On 9/28/2012 1:52 AM, Neal Murphy wrote:
> On Friday, September 28, 2012 02:35:49 AM Stan Hoeppner wrote:
>> The only permanent solution to this confusion is for Debian to rename
>> the IA64 port to "Itanium" and rename the AMD64 port to something like
>> "AMDINTL64".
>
> Something wrong with 'x86_64'?

Apparently AMD thought so.  They renamed the architecture from their
original vendor neutral "x86-64" to the vendor specific, branded, AMD64.
 Which is why Debian now calls its port "AMD64", whereas it originally
called it "x86-64".  Debian currently uses ISA names for its ports.  AMD
changed the name of the ISA, so Debian followed suit.

IMO, again, for the benefit of new or not so technical users, we should
break with the tradition of naming ports after ISAs, and give them names
that are meaningful to all users, not just those of us ITK.

Like it or not, silly as it, both Intel and AMD now brand the crap out
of their chips and avoid declaring the ISA in their literature.  If
Debian is truly serious about driving adoption, changing some of the
port names to something new users can easily recognize is a good step.
Adopting Microsoft's use of "x64", while disdainful, would be the most
logical move.  I avoided mentioning "x64' in my previous posts knowing
it would not be taken seriously, even though it is the smartest move.

--
Stan