On 9/28/2012 7:54 AM, Jon Dowland wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 01:35:49AM -0500, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
>> Maybe we could start some kind of petition for "Itanium" and
>> "AMDINTL64".  I think these tell everyone at a glance what they need to
>> know when selecting a port, and would completely eliminate the confusion.
>
> Itanium will probably disappear as a supported release architecture sooner
> than
> it would take to convince enough people it was worth renaming.

AFAIK, the only place Debian has on Itanic these days is possibly in the
second hand market for SGI Altix 3/4K and HP RX systems, in North
America anyway.  And the numbers would be extremely small.  You may be
right on this one.

Itanic is included in Wheezy yes?  So it will be at least a few years
before the IA64 port is dropped.  Changing from IA64 to Itanium during
the Wheezy release isn't going to confuse anyone.  And it would
absolutely be helpful to many new users with non-Itanic chips who get
confused by it, containing both [I]ntel and [A]MD in the name.  This
port name, combined with the "AMD64" port name, create the perfect storm
of confusion for new users with desktop x86-64 CPUs.

Intel isn't going to rebrand Itanium before they kill it, so this change
is a no brainer.  Getting AMD64 changed I'd think would meet more
resistance.

--
Stan