Le 19.01.2013 11:49, Andrei POPESCU a écrit :
On Vi, 18 ian 13, 20:33:01, berenger.mo...@neutralite.org wrote:

So, for processors able to support x84_64 archs, use it. Why would
you use only a fragment of your computer's power?

This is a bit of an overstatement. I've been running amd64, i386 and
amd64 kernel with i386 userland on this machine[0] and never felt any
difference.

If you are heavily space constrained[1] than i386 does make sense,
especially if you need 32-bit applications.

[0] Intel Dual Core T2330 @ 1.6 GHz, 2 GiB RAM
[1] at the moment I'm trying to use a 16 GB SD card for my backup
install[2] and /home ;)
[2] usually stable, but I feel like starting from scratch, so I'm using
wheezy

Kind regards,
Andrei

I guess that doubling the number of register and their capacity is not so easy to notice for most usages. But I think it is not a bad idea to be able to use them when you regularly use stuff that heavily uses the processor, like C++ compilers :) Maybe I should try to compile the same software with same options with both archs installed, but I can see no reason to see the 64bit arch being as slow or slower than the 32bits one...

Of course, I think it totally useless for habitual uses, like using word processors. But for that, modern computer are simply a waste: most usages of those applications were made on computers 15 years ago... (set this text in middle of the page, with bold font of size 32, color green, please... the usage of most people I said, not usage of professionals.) I bet that I could give my "designed for windows millenium" computer to many people, and they could be happy with it, except for disk space and a bit of slowness on the web. Just, do not expect to play or compile with it.