On Tue 22 Jan 2013 at 11:28:58 -0600, Richard Owlett wrote:

> Chris Bannister wrote:
> >On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 06:38:03AM -0600, Richard Owlett wrote:
> >
> >Correct, how do you expect Debian to know about software that isn't in a
> >repository?
>
> I don't. There is no reason for them to do so.
> Consider, my eldest nephew has been a independent contract
> programmer for over 20 years. He knows much more about software than
> I do. [My formal training was in hardware design including those
> using vacuum tubes.] Why should he not create a package I would find
> useful and send it to me as a deb? Why would Debian know about it?
> Why wold they want to? I would still want to be able to install it
> ;)

A little tip: Suppose you do

   dpkg -i eldestnephews.deb

and dpkg says it is unhappy and is going to leave the package
unconfigured, or something along those lines. Go to its friend apt-get
and tell it

   apt-get -f install

apt-get can reach the dependencies dpkg is ignorant about. It's not
guaranteed to succeed because the dependencies may not be in stable,
testing etc. Aptitude may very well be able to do something similar.

> >What is inconvenient with "dpkg -i doubtfulpackage.deb"
> >

> Nothing except that until about 4.5 hours ago I was not aware of
> either it or gdebi ;/

In 1998 apt was a revolution, so it is not too surprising dpkg's profile
is not as prominent as then. If you want a flavour of the times, install
and use dselect.