On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 09:34:22AM +0200, Alberto Luaces wrote:
> And what about the version numbers for iceweasel and firefox?

Debian:
iceweasel -v
Mozilla Iceweasel 10.0.12

Slackware:
firefox -v
Mozilla Firefox 21.0

Firefox I downloaded from mozilla.org and I started on Debian:
./firefox-bin -v
Mozilla Firefox 21.0

> That behavior is not a good thing, but it is not very surprising to me.

Not good, indeed. This is very important peace of software everybody use.

> It seems that iceweasel is storing all images as X pixmaps, so the
> memory requirements of the Xorg server grow.  Maybe other browsers tend
> to avoid the issue by not loading all the images in memory
> simultaneously.  Nevertheless, it would be a good thing to know if this
> is going to stay as is, or if there are plans to reduce that ram
> compsumption.

Firefox I downloaded behaves exactly like Iceweasel, but only on Debian.
That's why I'm not sure if problem lies only there. If picture is loaded in
RAM by browser, why to duplicate it in Xorg?