Veljko writes:

> On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 09:34:22AM +0200, Alberto Luaces wrote:
>> And what about the version numbers for iceweasel and firefox?
>
> Debian:
> iceweasel -v
> Mozilla Iceweasel 10.0.12
>
> Slackware:
> firefox -v
> Mozilla Firefox 21.0
>
> Firefox I downloaded from mozilla.org and I started on Debian:
> ./firefox-bin -v
> Mozilla Firefox 21.0

If I remember correctly, the same happens in my laptop with iceweasel 18.

>> That behavior is not a good thing, but it is not very surprising to me.
>
> Not good, indeed. This is very important peace of software everybody use.
>
>> It seems that iceweasel is storing all images as X pixmaps, so the
>> memory requirements of the Xorg server grow.  Maybe other browsers tend
>> to avoid the issue by not loading all the images in memory
>> simultaneously.  Nevertheless, it would be a good thing to know if this
>> is going to stay as is, or if there are plans to reduce that ram
>> compsumption.
>
> Firefox I downloaded behaves exactly like Iceweasel, but only on Debian.
> That's why I'm not sure if problem lies only there. If picture is loaded in
> RAM by browser, why to duplicate it in Xorg?

I don't know.  It could be an error in Xorg, or just triggered by
iceweasel/firefox.  There are similar bug reports
(http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=673349), but we would
have to compare Xorg versions and graphic drivers between Debian and
Slackware.

--
Alberto