Ralf Mardorf:
> On Wed, 2013-08-21 at 13:38 +0200, Jochen Spieker wrote:
>> Essentially, you have a chicken and egg problem.
>
> Wrong!

No. Your advice is dangerous.

> Keys usually are available by a keyserver you could trust,

No. Just because a keyserver happens to serve some key that does not
mean the key is valid. I can upload a key for presid...@whitehouse.gov
anytime I want. (And apparently, 25 other people already had that bright
idea.)

The best way to overcome this situation is to have a PGP key of your own
which is tightly integrated into the Web of Trust. You can use that to
find a chain between your key and the repository's key. Here is the
chain from my (old) key to Christian Marillat's, which makes me fairly
certain that his key is valid:
http://webware.lysator.liu.se/jc/wotsap/wots/latest/paths/0xD58ADB39-0x1F41B907.png

Lacking such a key, you can still try to find references to the key used
to sign the repository on the web:
<https://www.google.de/search?q="1D7F+C53F+80F8+52C1+88F4++ED0B+07DC+563D+1F41+B907";>

This is not cryptographically safe, but still better than blindly
accepting the keys from a keyring package. See also here:
<https://wiki.debian.org/SecureApt#How_to_tell_if_the_key_is_safe>

I already wrote that some time ago somewhere else: if you add a key to
apt's keyring, you are essentially giving the owner of that key root
access to your system. You cannot even limit a key in apt's keyring to a
specific repository or to specific packages.

Imagine this: You have deb-multimedia.org in your sources.list and have
the corresponding key in your keyring. If Christian Marillat decides to
upload a malicious openssh-server:999:6.0p1-4 to his repository, apt-get
and aptitude will install it on your system without warning. If apt
already downloaded the package for you with its cron job, you won't even
notice that the package does not come from Debian proper.

J.
--
When standing at the top of beachy head I find the rocks below very
attractive.