On 10/25/2013 8:59 PM, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
On 8/29/13, Jerry Stuckle <jstuc...@attglobal.net> wrote:
On 8/28/2013 7:52 PM, berenger.mo...@neutralite.org wrote:

Here is the important part: "Each object can be viewed as an independent
"machine" with a distinct role or responsibility.".
Nothing forbid to do that in C. I took the example of the SDL,
previously. Does not it really match to that phrase?
When I use SDL in a C++ program, I create 1 class with a constructor
which call SDL_CreateSurface, while the destructor calls
SDL_FreeSurface. I simply use the automated RAII stuff, which is the
feature C lacks. Well... at least, in C, you can use RAII, by hand. Not
only with Java or C#, or at least, not as easily (those languages are
designed to use a garbage collector...can be useful sometimes.).

It is not a "machine".  It is an object.  That's why it is called Object
Oriented Programming.

Well. We of the "firm assertions" disposition often fall fatally to
... firm assertions.

Jerry, perhaps you might soften your insistence that others use
"JERRY'S DEFITION" as THE ONLY TRUE DEFINITION OF THIS COMPUTERY
TERM!!!

That is not MY definition. It is the definition put forth by recognized experts in OO programming such as Booch, Rumbaugh and Stroustrup. If you want to argue definitions, I suggest you argue with them.

How warm and encouraging would it be if you had instead said something
like "I would prefer that the term object were not conflated with
'machine' for the following reasons ..."

Maybe to you.  I follow the experts' definitions.

Anyway, from an onlookers perspective you are being excessively
pedantic and hung up on different terms which are simply intended to
convey some meaning - and you have done so without saying _why_
'machine' is a 'bad' term to use to describe the properties of an
'object' in OOP.

Regards,
Zenaan

"Machine" is a bad term because it is not "Machine Oriented Programming". It is "Object Oriented Programming" - because it emulates real world objects - not machines.

Jerry