> > SunFire X-series ILOM web-interface, for example. Unusable in opera.
> > IBM's HMC web-interface. Unusable in opera.
> > Anything based on Oracle's ADF will get you one big 'you're not
> > welcome
> > here, boo' if you use opera.
> > Sadly, some of us need to use browsers to do work, not to surf
> > Internets.
>
> Indeed.
> I do not have access to those pages, but by curiosity, how do they pass
> the w3c validator? I know that not so many stuff pass it without
> errors/warnings, but I am curious. Could it be a site's bug? ( no
> trolling here, real question )

You don't need w3c validator if you have browser compatibility list.
This is the way this industry work - you don't have browser they like
- you don't use their product.

> > Ok, but. This implies that opera's implementation of HTML standard is
> > flawed somehow, as webpages require additional testing.
>
> According to what I have read, they usually test their work for IE,
> firefox and chrome. For old IE, it is well known fact that standard is
> not respected. But FF and chrome do claim respecting it well, so why
> testing in both?

If you did browser, did you claim that it doesn't support standards?
They need to claim it, or they'll loose users. Heck, even MSFT claim
that their browser parody complies with standards.
In reality - today HTML5 is a 'moving standard' (meaning, W3C Consortium
shove new features in it every day, and they won't stop doin' that).
Claiming compliance to HTML standard is simply marketing.

> I think ( only supposition here, web dev is not my field at all ) it's
> because HTML standard is a little like C++ standard: it does not say how
> things have to be implemented, only a "general description", if you see
> what I mean. So it is needed to test on more than one implementation,
> because behaviors and performances are not same everywhere.

http://harmful.cat-v.org/software/c++/ says:

'If C++ has taught me one thing, it’s this: Just because the system is
consistent doesn’t mean it’s not the work of Satan. — Andrew Plotkin'

Applies to HTML too IMO.

> I think plugins too can be, am I wrong?

You can definitely do it without Firefox restart with a couple of
mouseclicks.

> The point was that I feel like
> I have more control on how behaves my browser with opera than with
> firefox. But, to be honest, that JS option is not very nice to use in
> opera, since you have to: right clic on site, edit website's
> preferences, select script tab, check or uncheck the first checkbox
> "enable JS", validate, and finally reload.

NoScript, just use it. Author has questionable morality, but luckily it
doesn't creep into his product. Free (as in libre) software too.

Reco