Le 26.10.2013 12:01, Reco a écrit :
Hi.

On Sat, 26 Oct 2013 11:41:57 +0200
berenger.mo...@neutralite.org wrote:

No free alternative can allow me to use things
the way I want: firefox lacks lot of features opera have, gnash is just
useless in practice for streaming, nouveau does not give me full 3D
acceleration, and there are simply no free wifi drivers.

Why do you consider, say, ath9k drivers non-free?
What are those wonderful features that opera has, and firefox doesn't
(inability to render pages correctly, which is the case of opera
doesn't count)?

Reco

At the time I switched, there was a far better support for SVG in opera. 3 years ago. It was the only browser able to render html into svg, which is standard. I do not know about what inability to render correctly you are speaking: I have seen that statement several times, but never noticed the problem myself. And I do not think it is because webdev try opera, those who does are probably minority, since opera is not a mainstream browser, at least for desktop.

Also, you can disable JS/plugins/cookies and other stuff on a per-site basis, unlike Firefox. I mean, without plug-ins, of course. This is very useful nowadays, with all those sites using JS for everything and nothing. Then, mouse gesture. I use them a lot, for web browsing. Better about:config interface (in fact, better configuration interface overall, but for other options it's a matter of taste. For about:config, it simply can not be discussed). And various minor details here and there. I retried firefox several times, I never kept it. I do not mean that firefox is not usable as it is, simply that my choice go for opera because it have all features I need out of the box.

For wifi drivers, you are right, I forgot that there are some which are free.