On 12/13/2013 1:00 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
On Fri, 2013-12-13 at 11:49 -0500, Goren Buckwalk wrote:
----- Original Message -----
From: Ralf Mardorf
Sent: 12/12/13 07:23 PM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Hardware Question about RAM and Capacitors

I would replace all capacitors in that area, not only the leaking. The
others will leak soon too.

If they fail is it likely they would damage other parts of the
systemn? Like RAM sticks or CPUs? Or even chips on the mainboard? Like
a spike/surge?

Better don't sent such a request not as a private mail. I redirect my
reply to the list.

I don't know. I need to ask a friend, but it's likely that somebody on
the list can answer your question. Possible yes, likely, I don think so,
perhaps yes, maybe not.

I've been involved in electronics since the mid-60's, majored in EE and Computer Science, and spent several years in the hardware end before I found I enjoyed programming more. But even then, I've kept my hands dirty, so I feel qualified to comment here.

Could capacitor failure damage other components? The answer is yes. Processors, RAM, etc. nowadays run around 1.5V to 3.3V (the actual voltage is dependent on the processor; newer ones run lower voltages).

This is filtered DC. Unfiltered (pulsating) DC can peak at 1.4 times those values, or about 2.1 to 4.6 V. That is unusual, however, because it would mean several capacitors would have to fail almost simultaneously. Not unheard of, though. But I doubt that's your problem since everything seems to work with only one memory stick plugged in.

I would replace all capacitors for another reason. If the capacitors are
old and/or crappy and some already failed, it's likely that the others
soon or later will fail too, since they seem to do the same job and are
from the same vendor and the same type, perhaps with the same values.
Once you disassemble the mobo and replace some capacitors, you directly
could replace all of them, to avoid to do the same job next month again.
To avoid that there are sometimes issues, because they already don't
work perfectly.

Whether others will fail soon or not is impossible to predict. For instance, the three which have failed may have been from one manufacturer or even one batch which had problems, while the others on the board may be from another manufacturer or batch with no problems (don't rely on the markings on the case - in many cases that is NOT the company which physically manufactured the part).

OTOH, you MAY have one or several more fail tomorrow (whether these had failed or not). There is just no way of knowing.

I would NOT recommend replacing all of the capacitors on the board for another reason. These boards are multi-layer and not made to be repairable. It means they were not made to have the parts unsoldered/soldered. Holes are just big enough for the leads, and are hard to clean out without the proper tools (i.e. a good soldering station with an vacuum pump driven solder removal tool). Additionally, the traces on the board are not made to be unsoldered/soldered, and will detach from the board rather easily when too much heat is applied. And sometimes you'll find an inner trace on the board is also connected to the pin, and unsoldering/soldering can break the connection (not as likely on filter capacitors, but possible).

Additionally, you've just added a bunch more work to your day, which may not be necessary.

The bottom line here is - every part you remove and replace is another chance to do permanent damage to the board. They're pretty tough under normal conditions, but a repair such as this is not "normal conditions".

And since it's an older board, I agree with others recommendations. Unless you have a need to keep this MB, I'd suggest you just replace it. You'll spend less money on a new MB than the hassles of trying to fix the old one.

Jerry