On 12/13/2013 3:17 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
On Fri, 2013-12-13 at 13:31 -0500, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
good soldering station with an vacuum pump driven solder removal tool

I had boards where a Weller vacuum pump driven solder removal tool
didn't help, but it was easy to do with hot air soldering. It doesn't
pay for me to own such gear, but for a friend it does, so replacing
parts on multi-layers is possible without much effort, if you have the
right tools. In the circle of friends perhaps somebody knows somebody
who has the gear at least at the place of work available.

Ralf,

I've had mixed results with hot air. It works well on surface mount, but you have to be careful with through-the-board mounting. The hot air can spray molten solder on other components. It's why I don't recommend using one to someone who's not already pretty good at using one. Of course, it also helps to have an old board you can use for practice first :)

But I do agree - it often works better than a vacuum pump desoldering system.

Jerry