Hi Stephen,

Have you been eagerly anticipating my reply to your hardware thread?  I
hope I don't disappoint. :)

On 12/14/2013 7:23 AM, Stephen Powell wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Dec 2013 02:39:04 -0500 (EST), David Christensen wrote:
>>> I'd like it to have a usable CSM, so I can continue to run my favorite boot
>>> loader, LILO.
>>
>> CSM = IBM Cluster Systems Management?
>
> No, CSM = Compatibility Support Module, a feature of UEFI-compliant
> motherboards that provides a PC-compatible BIOS for booting legacy
> BIOS operating systems, such as the LILO boot loader.  This is incompatible
> with Connected Standby Mode, whose initials are also, unfortunately, CSM.
> Connected Standby Mode is apparently a requirement for Windows 8
> certification.
> Connected Standby Mode must be disabled in order for a Compatibility Support
> Module to be enabled.

There is no need for CSM if you purchase a fairly modern board yet
designed prior to the UEFI revolution.  Here is a complete list of
quality DIY parts that will meet your stated needs, including a non-UEFI
motherboard:

Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2P(rev 5.0) AM3+ AMD 760G/SB710, AMD 3000 GPU, DVI
AMD FX-4300 3.8GHz quad core CPU, 2x 2MB L2 cache, 4MB L3 cache
2x 4GB DDR3-1333 Crucial DDR-SDRAM modules
Samsung 840 EVO 120GB SSD - #1 SSD in quality, performance, and $/GB
ASUS DVD - it's DVD to boot a net install image, if needed, decent unit
Apevia mATX cube case, 500W PSU, excellent airflow, I own one, good case
Hewlett Packard 23" Widescreen HD monitor, 1920x1080, DVI

$ 52 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128504
$110 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113287
$ 60 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148347
$ 90 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147247
$ 19 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135304
$ 87 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811144140
$120 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824176250

$538 Total

Upon totaling this I'm really surprised such a quality, high performance
machine with a good 23" LCD can be had for less than $550, especially
with a Samsung 120GB SSD.  Some of the prices above are holiday
specials.  I didn't check the normal prices.  So if you like this combo
you may want to check the expiry dates on the specials and order beforehand.

I verified the FX-4300 should work in this board so you should have no
surprises.  You may need to flash it so the BIOS identifies the CPU
correctly, but the board should boot and work fine even without doing
so.  See:

http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/cpu-support-popup.aspx?v=AE72F6F9D4ADD0D7995989AF720CB4D0FF2976CBFB7DB4DE70BB3E832BEDD48D&s=Socket%20AM3+&cs=AMD%20760G

FYI, I searched for more than an hour trying to find an AMD dual core
CPU plus mobo combo that would be suitable.  I ran into two problems here.

First, all of the current dual core AMD CPUs lack L3 cache and have
somewhat tiny 1MB L2 caches.  As with virtual machines, emulation
workloads tend to perform better with larger caches due to context
switches, TLB shootdowns, etc.  So this model FX-4300 with 1MB L2 per
core and 4MB shared L3 should perform better for you, even if you can't
make use of all 4 cores immediately.  Everyone else buying 4/6/8 core
desktop CPUs is in the same boat, whether they know it or not, so don't
sweat it.  The industry has decided to take the multi-core path which
users simply cannot yet follow, because most developers aren't yet
threading their applications.

Second, all of the socket FM2 motherboards which take the dual core
chips are built/certified for Windows 8, and have UEFI BIOS.  Again this
mobo is non-UEFI, so I think this combo will be a better solution for
you all around Stephen.

Motherboard manual to read before you buy (I always do):
http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-78lmt-s2p_v.5.0_e.pdf

I hope this is the type of complete, concise information,
recommendation, you were looking for Stephen.

--
Stan
TheHardwareFreak