On Sun, 15 Dec 2013 09:30:43 -0500 (EST), Stan Hoeppner wrote:

> Have you been eagerly anticipating my reply to your hardware thread?  I
> hope I don't disappoint. :)

I was hoping you would participate, yes.  But I didn't want to presume.

> Here is a complete list of quality DIY parts that will meet your
> stated needs, including a non-UEFI motherboard:
>
> Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2P(rev 5.0) AM3+ AMD 760G/SB710, AMD 3000 GPU, DVI
> AMD FX-4300 3.8GHz quad core CPU, 2x 2MB L2 cache, 4MB L3 cache
> 2x 4GB DDR3-1333 Crucial DDR-SDRAM modules
> Samsung 840 EVO 120GB SSD - #1 SSD in quality, performance, and $/GB
> ASUS DVD - it's DVD to boot a net install image, if needed, decent unit
> Apevia mATX cube case, 500W PSU, excellent airflow, I own one, good case
> Hewlett Packard 23" Widescreen HD monitor, 1920x1080, DVI
>
> $ 52 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128504
> $110 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113287
> $ 60 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148347
> $ 90 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147247
> $ 19 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135304
> $ 87 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811144140
> $120 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824176250
>
> $538 Total

Wow, you even managed to get a monitor thrown in and still make the
~$500 target.  I was expecting to pay around $500 for the system only,
with the monitor costing extra.  I see just one problem.  I don't see
any indication of R/W capability in the CD/DVD drive.  It appears to
be read-only.  I want to be able to burn install images downloaded from
the internet.  However, I did find this item

   http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135204

for just a buck more.  Do you see any problem substituting this for the
one you suggested?

> FYI, I searched for more than an hour trying to find an AMD dual core
> CPU plus mobo combo that would be suitable.  I ran into two problems here.
>
> First, all of the current dual core AMD CPUs lack L3 cache and have
> somewhat tiny 1MB L2 caches.  As with virtual machines, emulation
> workloads tend to perform better with larger caches due to context
> switches, TLB shootdowns, etc.  So this model FX-4300 with 1MB L2 per
> core and 4MB shared L3 should perform better for you, even if you can't
> make use of all 4 cores immediately.  Everyone else buying 4/6/8 core
> desktop CPUs is in the same boat, whether they know it or not, so don't
> sweat it.  The industry has decided to take the multi-core path which
> users simply cannot yet follow, because most developers aren't yet
> threading their applications.
>
> Second, all of the socket FM2 motherboards which take the dual core
> chips are built/certified for Windows 8, and have UEFI BIOS.  Again this
> mobo is non-UEFI, so I think this combo will be a better solution for
> you all around Stephen.

Makes sense.  And thanks for all the time that you have put into this.

> Motherboard manual to read before you buy (I always do):
> http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-78lmt-s2p_v.5.0_e.pdf
>
> I hope this is the type of complete, concise information,
> recommendation, you were looking for Stephen.

It is.  You did not disappoint.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :