On Sun, 15 Dec 2013 15:07:33 -0500 (EST), Stan Hoeppner wrote:

> I was figuring you'd probably do the install from a USB stick and I
> threw the DVD drive in as an afterthought.  So yes, the ASUS burner
> above would be perfect.  Over 4,000 sold and a 5 egg rating.  Can't get
> any better than that.

Good.  I just ordered everything exactly as you recommended, except
for the CD/DVD drive, for which I substituted the R/W model.  To
install Debian, I usually use the "netboot" installation image burned
to a CD-R.

> If you decide to go this route and you run into any
> trouble getting it going, don't hesitate to email me off list.  I may
> not respond quickly but I'll respond.

That's a very generous offer.  Thank you very much.  I hope I won't
need to take you up on that, but it's nice to know that I can if I need to.

> You said it's been a while since
> you built a system, so add a static strap to your order and use it, if
> you don't already have one.  Winter is static charge season, and the
> last thing you want is to have your board not work after accidentally
> sending static discharge into it.  Often folks don't even realize it
> happened and curse their "DOA" board as being junk, etc.

You know, I almost added an anti-static wrist strap to the order, but
in the end decided not to.  My basement is so humid, even in winter,
that I doubted it would be a problem.  However, my dehumidifier, which
normally runs 9 or 10 months out of the year, is currently showing the
relative humidity at 30% (and it's off, set for 50%), so maybe I'll
get one anyway.

> On that note, prepare for potential disappointment with the cutesie
> little temperature LCD on the Apevia case.  Mine was DOA.

Sorry to hear that.  But if that happens to me, I'll probably do what
you did.  Nothing.  I'm not used to cases with temperature readouts
on them, and that is not a requirement.

Thanks again, "Santa".  This will be my first truly new system since
1994.  I've been using other people's throw-aways and used systems
since then.  But nobody I know is throwing away 64-bit systems.  Not
yet anyway.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :