On Jo, 20 feb 14, 20:01:04, Hans wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> just a simple question: Does debian accept suggestions of new packages,
> although they are old and orphaned by the original devolper?

>It depends a lot on the package. There are packages that haven't seen
>updates for a few releases and are working just fine. On the other hand
>if the package might be a security risk the Security Team will object to
>its (re)inclusion. This is just an example, there may be other reasons
>to keep the package out of Debian.

>Besides, just a suggestion (you probably mean Request for Package,
>a.k.a. RFP) instead of an actual intent (Intent to package, a.k.a. ITP)
>will not do much unless somebody is actually willing to package it and
>upload it to Debian.

>However, don't let this deter you from making a package. Even if it is
>only for you own use in the long run it is probably better and you also
>gain experience in packaging. If you make it available on the internet
>some other people might also find it useful.

>Hope this explains,
>Andrei
-

Hi Andrei,

you are right, packaging for my own would teach me a lot. But sorry, after I
tried hard, I give now up. After I read the packaging-tutorials I was quite of
good hope, to get it all running. In my dumb thoughts, I though, it might just
be easy, just to change some version nuimbers in the soursce, some lib-names
and the thing can be build on a modern system.

As I am completely noob in programming and packaging, I must admit, that this
project is much too difficulty for me. This begins with errors, I did not
understand and a lot of not understanding, what is happening at all.

As there is no experienced one in the near, who I can ask, I am completely
stuck.

It is a pity, as this program is working well and IMO would be a fine addition
for debian. Personally for me, it is not such big pity, as there is already a
debian package available, which can be installed and which is working still
very, very well.

However, it would be much finer, if it could be rebuild with modern libs!

Anyway, I give up, sorry for that.

For those, who want to laugh a little bit over me and maybe fix things within 5
minutes, I can send my tries in a packed file (2.3 MB).

Andrei, thank you for inviting me to do those tries. If I wouldn't have tried,
I wouldn't have recognized, how difficult packaging is. This is also an
important lesson, I think.

Have a nice weekend!

Best regards

Hans