On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 01:51:54PM +0000, Jonathan Dowland wrote:
> On 25/02/2014 13:23, Tony Baldwin wrote:
> > Using mutt this morning, I was informed that my postfix certificate
> > had expired a few days ago. I made a new one with:
> >
> > openssl req -new -outform PEM -out smtpd.cert -newkey rsa:2048 -nodes
> > -keyout smtpd.key -keyform PEM -days 365 -x509
> >
> > I'm fairly certain this is precisely how I did it a year ago.
> >
> > the hostname on the box is tonybaldwin.info the fqdn is
> > tonybaldwin.info
> >
> > but every time I send a message, I'm told the hostname on the server
> > doesn't match the hostname on the certificate.
>
> I suspect that this error message is misleading, but just to be sure,
> what server address are you using in your mutt config? Also can you
> outline how your mutt is configured to send mail (sounds like it isn't
> just using /usr/bin/sendmail, the default method)

No, not sendmail. The server has postfix and dovecot,
I'm using imap, not pop, and sending the mail through the dovecot smtp
on the server.

smtp://t...@tonybaldwin.info:passwordh...@mail.tonybaldwin.info:25

Of course, the hostname on the box is not mail.tonybaldwin.info
but tonybaldwin.info
for the postfix cert, I used mail.tonybaldwin.info
hmmm...I didn't change the dovecot cert (doesn't expire for a while,
because I redid the whole dovecot upon update to wheezy).

./tony
--
https://tonybaldwin.info
art, music, software by me, tony