Le 8 août 2014 à 17:16, Steve Litt <sl...@troubleshooters.com> a écrit :

> On Fri, 8 Aug 2014 12:14:31 +0200
> "B. M." <b-m...@gmx.ch> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> While I'm waiting for the components of my new machine
>> (testing/jessie) I'm thinking about the optimal partitioning scheme
>> which should last for the next 10 years :-)
>>
>> The system looks like:
>> Haswell 3.4 GHz
>> 8 GB RAM (later upgradeable up to 32 GB)
>> 250 GB SSD
>> 2 TB HDD
>>
>> What do you think about the following:
>>
>> === SSD: ===
>> /boot           unencrypted, 300 MB
>> /               ext4, encrypted, 25-30 GB
>> /home           ext4, encrypted, keyfile, 220-225 GB
>>  User data for two users
>>

>> === HDD (in this order for performance reasons): ===
>> /var            HDD, ext4, encrypted, keyfile, 25 GB
>>  It's so large because I want to add a directory /var/src below /var
>>  to compile a kernel on the HDD if necessary
>>
>> /databases      HDD, ext4, encrypted, keyfile, barrier=0, 10 GB
>>  Used for the db's of digikam (1 user), akonadi and amarok
>>  (2 users each)
>>
>> swap            HDD, swapfs, encrypted, 5 GB (not hibernation)
>>
>> /video          HDD, btrfs, 560 GB
>>  Subvolumes:
>>    /video/editing
>>    /video/series
>>  => for video editing or series, no backup, not encrypted
>>
>> /data           HDD, btrfs, encrypted, keyfile, RAID1 (2 x 700 GB).
>>  With subvolumes for digikam archive, movie archive and music
>>

>> What do you think (sizes, file systems, number of partitions, ...)?
>> Is it still a good idea to put /var on an HDD, not a SSD?
>> Video editing is currently not required, it's more like an option for
>> the future (1y or so) and might require a second HDD (source and
>> target drive for rendering to increase r/w performance).
>> To keep it simple and usable I'll use keyfiles for all partitions
>> except /.
>>
>> Thanks for your inputs and all the best.
>
> Hi BM,
>
> If you really want your partitioning scheme to last 10 years, in my
> opinion you need to:
>
> 1: Work from LVM
>
> 2: Use a rolling release distro (Gentoo, for instance)
>
> 3: Do bare metal backups often so a disk crash doesn't lose your
>   partitioning.
>
> And now some answers to your other questions. From what I've heard and
> seen, you're still best off moving directories regularly written off
> your SSD. I strongly suggest you take /home *off* your SSD.
>
> My desktop's SSD is mainly there to hold /usr. All the rest of the
> usual suspects are mounted on my two spinning disks:

> slitt@mydesq2:~$ mount | grep "^/dev/" | sort | sed -e"s/(.*//"
> /dev/disk/by-uuid/2598ea36-258d-480f-b1a7-eae244962526 on / type ext4
> /dev/sdb1 on /home type ext4
> /dev/sdb2 on /s type ext4
> /dev/sdb3 on /d type ext4
> /dev/sdb4 on /inst type ext4
> /dev/sdb5 on /classic/a type ext4
> [...]

Thanks a lot so far!

Well, it's clear that 10y isn't realistic - but a few years is what my goal is.
So I'm really looking for a sustainable setup.

Why should I keep /home off the SSD? I'll put all SQL databases to /databases
on the HDD and set the browser cache size to 0. What else is really writing all
the time (mainly standard KDE stuff)? Only for the system I wouldn't need a 250
GB SSD, but it's already ordered... ;-)

I'm planning to start with testing / jessie and stay with jessie (unless there
is newer software I really need).