On 08/08/14 06:14 AM, B. M. wrote:
Hi all,

While I'm waiting for the components of my new machine (testing/jessie)
I'm thinking about the optimal partitioning scheme which should last for the
next 10 years :-)

The system looks like:
Haswell 3.4 GHz
8 GB RAM (later upgradeable up to 32 GB)
250 GB SSD
2 TB HDD

What do you think about the following:

=== SSD: ===
/boot           unencrypted, 300 MB
/               ext4, encrypted, 25-30 GB
/home           ext4, encrypted, keyfile, 220-225 GB
   User data for two users

=== HDD (in this order for performance reasons): ===
/var            HDD, ext4, encrypted, keyfile, 25 GB
   It's so large because I want to add a directory /var/src below /var
   to compile a kernel on the HDD if necessary

/databases      HDD, ext4, encrypted, keyfile, barrier=0, 10 GB
   Used for the db's of digikam (1 user), akonadi and amarok
   (2 users each)

swap            HDD, swapfs, encrypted, 5 GB (not hibernation)

/video          HDD, btrfs, 560 GB
   Subvolumes:
     /video/editing
     /video/series
   => for video editing or series, no backup, not encrypted

/data           HDD, btrfs, encrypted, keyfile, RAID1 (2 x 700 GB).
   With subvolumes for digikam archive, movie archive and music

What do you think (sizes, file systems, number of partitions, ...)?
Is it still a good idea to put /var on an HDD, not a SSD?
Video editing is currently not required, it's more like an option for the
future (1y or so) and might require a second HDD (source and target
drive for rendering to increase r/w performance).
To keep it simple and usable I'll use keyfiles for all partitions except
/.

Thanks for your inputs and all the best.
Everyone has their own preferences on this but I actually have several machines with a very similar setup. The major difference is that I use RAID rather than single mechanical disks.

My preference is to use the SSD for /, with an area left for for the GUID boot.

I partition the larger drive/array as a single partition and mount it as /home. I've never really seen a need to engage in the multiple partitions that some people seem to like. You're never likely to fill the / partition and if you fill the /home with some of your data, then expand the RAID array.

Some people like LVM but frankly with the good tools Linux has for resizing partitions, it's rarely needed.

I don't like the idea of using two partitions on a single HD for RAID, which seems to be your plan. I'd opt instead to go immediately to RAID 5 with 3 drives. 1T drives are quite cheap these days so the cost difference isn't significant over a single 2T. If you want to save money, a 60G SSD is all you really need for / anyway.

I'm also not concerned about wear on an SSD. I've been using them for years and have yet to have one fail. It will happen at some point, but I trust them more than I trust an HD. However since your SSD isn't in a RAID array, I wouldn't trust it with anything that can't be recovered with a fresh Linux install.