Am Samstag, 20. September 2014, 19:19:07 schrieb Hans:
> > I wonder about a solution I can install on my server. It would just act as
> > a router and the connection would be between clients directly. A solution
> > that is *fully* and *completely* under *my* control and *will work as is*
> > until *I* decide to change it.
> >
> > Maybe I just grown up with a different infrastructure, but look at IRC… it
> > just works.
>
> If it is just you and your father, just try ekiga. It is open source and
> running on windows and linux.
>
> Ypu might also try to use qutecom (former wengophone), which also available
> on differerent platforms.
>
> Another choice might be linphone, which is also video capable.
>
> There are lots of options - as long you need not to talk with skype users,
> as skype is the only one, who is using its own (proprietrary) protocol.
>
> All others are using H264.

Well… its more than that. Sorry, I didn´t mention it initially in my
upsetness.

Different users. Family and other relatives mostly. All on Skype. On Linux, Mac
OS X and Windows. So client support needs to be cross platform.

And its needs to be easy… well… for my father I can also try Skype 4.3 with
PulseAudio. I don´t want to use PulseAudio. It still makes issues where plain
ALSA just works, including:

- OpenAL games sound stuttering (makes PlaneShift unplayable)

- Muting loudspeakers volume on plugging a loudspeaker via cinch to phone
output… laptop only has this one. Just works with ALSA and internal speakers
are automatically muted by laptop it seems. With PulseAudio no sound on
plugged in speakers.

Everytime I had a go at PulseAudio something that worked perfectly before
doesn´t work anymore. Its version 5.0. I danced the install and purge dance
with Network Manager, but since version 0.9 it mostly behaves. But PulseAudio?
On version 5.0 and still not usable for me.

Ciao,