On 10/08/2014 at 09:43 AM, Steve Litt wrote:

> On Wed, 8 Oct 2014 21:48:10 +0900 Joel Rees <joel.r...@gmail.com>
> wrote:

>> (I'm wondering whether that's the first ten, or the first ten
>> currently visible.)
>
> What I'd meant was go to the top of the file and read the first ten
> posts. Seeing that the messages aren't consecutively numbered, let
> me summarize:

Thanks. This is a much more helpful presentation of what you're
referring to.

> 30: Thorsten Glaser asks to have all developers, via a GR, whatever
> that is, decide the issue, rather than the CTTE.

A "GR" is a General Resolution, a proposal voted upon by all interested
Debian developers (and I think possibly maintainers, though probably not
extending to users). Initiating one requires that a written proposal be
put forward by a Debian developer, and seconded by at least X other DDs
(where X is some relatively low figure, greater than 1 but I believe not
greater than 4).

An attempt at initiating a GR over the systemd issue was made after the
TC decision came down in favor of systemd, and did not succeed in
gathering enough seconds to be formally put before the community for a
vote. Some parts of this, at least, can be seen in the debian-devel
archives from that time.

> 45: Lucas Nussbaum writes, and I really have to quote him, "I agree
> [to a tech-ctte vote]. I don't think that many substantial new
> arguments are going to be brought by waiting more on this topic. And
> it is clear that we have reached a point where not having clear
> guidance is severely hurting the project." Let me (Steve Litt)
> paraphrase this: "We've used sysvinit for way too long, but now, all
> of a sudden, we just can't wait anymore, and must make our selection
> RIGHT NOW, with no further investigation." Nice!

I don't think that's a fair paraphrase. I think he was speaking in favor
of a TC vote, in recognition of the fact that the conflicting /
competing views on init systems were not going to be resolved without a
decision by some central authority, and of the fact that the arguments
over them (and the questions about what any given package would need to
support, and how dependencies should be handled, and so forth) were both
going to cause practical problems for Debian packaging and the jessie
release and could plausibly lead to social schisms within the project
which could do further damage.

--
   The Wanderer