Joey Hess wrote:
Brian wrote:
I'd suggest that the principal udeb package to consider as responsible
for installing the base system is bootstrap-base. It runs debootstrap.
Debian Policy specifies the base packages as being of Priority: required
and Priority: important.

You can get lists of these packages with

   aptitude search ~prequired -F"%p"
   aptitude search ~pimportant -F"%p"

Any idea which of those installs systemd, and if that can be
modified through a preseed command?
The init package is Priority: required. It pre-depends on

    systemd-sysv | sysvinit-core | upstart

The first alternative is systemd-sysv, which pre-depends on systemd.

There is no preseed command which can alter this.
It may be that adding --include=sysvinit-core to debootstrap will cause
the other branch of that dependency to be taken. I have not tested it.
If that is the case, then the thing to preseed is
base-installer/includes, the value of which is passed to --include.

Now THAT is the pointer I was looking for - I'll have to try that.

Based on that, might it also make sense to preseed
base-installer/excludes
as well?

I.e.,
base-installer/excludes systemd-sysv