On Tue 11 Nov 2014 at 23:18:56 -0500, The Wanderer wrote:

> On 11/11/2014 at 01:51 PM, Brian wrote:

> >> That is DEFINITELY a definition of "default" that is subject to
> >> very differing opinions.
> >
> > Everyone gets systemd. This a a fact, not an opinion.
> >
> > Everyone can alter what they first boot with. This is a fact, not an
> > opinion,
> >
> > Everyone can change the init system after first boot. This is a fact,
> > not an opinion,
> >
> >> And there is a very distinct difference between "installed by
> >> default" and "enabled by default."
> >
> > There may be. But, everyone gets systemd. (Please see above).
>
> And while all of these things are true TTBOMK, none of them are related
> to the thing I was responding to, which is your unqualified statement
> that these things are what the statement "systemd is the default init
> system" means.
>
> systemd being "the default init system" can/could mean many different
> things.
>
> One of those things would mean that all of the things you say must
> necessarily be true. That possible meaning is embodied in the current
> implementation of the package dependencies and of debian-installer.
>
> There are other possible meanings which would not mean that. From the
> perspective of such a meaning, the current debian-installer
> implementation is incorrect, and therefore buggy.
>

> The entire reason I responded in the first place is that you were making
> an unqualified statement about the meaning of the phrase "the default
> init system", without supporting that statement with arguments or
> evidence, when the question of the meaning of that phrase is - at some
> important level - the very thing which is under dispute.
>
> That sort of implicit assumption is not conducive to good argument, or
> to fostering even the possibility of understanding and agreement between
> the sides of a disagreement.

The reality is that d-i in jessie installs systemd. I labelled this
reality with the phrase "default init system". I could change to using
another phrase but it will not alter the reality.

The phrase "default init system" may be attached to other, different
realities but, in the context of addressing the OP's question, I have
little desire to explore them.