Without the SSL splitting the only option is to install some software on
the client side. Some "endpoint" security software doing the inspection of
the web data transfers on the fly before they pass the TLS tunnel. It's the
same like SSL split on Squid, but let's say more transparent. Unfortunately
I don't know any such software for Linux - all of those I know are for
Windows as this OS has API for that "spying".
Can mention two for all of them:
 - Kaspersky Internet Security
 - Eset Endpoint Security
These are my favorites, but there are other SWs available.
The open source and best way to protect children is the proxy with SSLBump.
Have a look on Untangle [1] for complete FW solution with the SSLBump
feature.

[1] www.untangle.com