On Monday 30 March 2015 12:45:50 David Wright wrote:
> Quoting Gene Heskett (ghesk...@wdtv.com):

> > > Membership of the lpadmin group is sufficient to give
> > > administration rights to a user. Having him in the root group is
> > > very questionable. There is also the 'cancel' button on the
> > > printer.
> >
> > Here, its X-Cancel.
> >
> > And, tell that to cups, or if installed, on BEH, which sees it as a
> > failure & restarts the job, wasting another 40 sheets of paper &
> > toner by the time you get it stopped by nuking the cups stuff in
> > /var/cups or /var/tmp, or maybe /tmp, depending on the mood the
> > installer was in for that version at the time.  You have to go find
> > it, then get rights enough to nuke it.  Thats at least 2 minutes,
> > while a 19 ppm printer is churning out paper.
>
> What ErrorPolicy do you have set in /etc/cups/printers.conf, and have
> you tried ErrorPolicy abort-job.
>
> Now I know that you like testing your printers with real 80 page jobs,

Your exhuberant guess is approximately 1800 pages short.  There are
almost 1900 pages of LinuxCNC manuals.  Since it is still under active
development I reprint the lot of them at about 2 year intervals to keep
abreast of the newer stuff.

> but have you thought of putting a stack of discarded output into the
> feed hopper (to conserve paper) and printing jobs that have a single
> character on each page (to conserve ink/toner) so you can test the
> printers reaction to Cancel while you play with the settings.

No. IMO it should just work for the machines owner/operator.

> > However, I cannot recall if changes to group are instant or need a
> > reboot to fully effect them.
>
> Neither. Just log in.

New shell IOW.

> > > dnssd is Bonjour (Avahi on Linux).
> >
> > And that is what function?  And can it be removed without
> > eviscerating the rest of the system?
>
> From this thread, and several previous ones, eg "So much for a wheezy
> install, massive fail", "Okular vs printer, okular 1, printer 0",

I don't at this time recall what I did, other than to remove all printers
& start all over again, but it now works.

> I can't see how anyone would be unwise enough to copy your
> configuration (or even base theirs upon yours) as posted in
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2015/03/msg01151.html
> even if it comes with a "Just Works(TM)" sticker. Sorry, make that a
> "Just Works(TM) until the next bare metal install, which starts the 3
> ring circus of getting networking to actually work again..." sticker.

It does, network-mangler is totally incapable of dealing with a
local /etc/hosts file based network.  If it is, then someones updating
of the docs is sorely needed because that starting premise is not
mentioned.  So I do what I have to do. I can't help it if that Just
Works(TM) offends your sense of righteousness.

To add insult to the no network injury here, Network-Mangler cannot be
removed because it has dependencies that would destroy the rest of the
system, and I've not found a way to disable it other than fixing the
files so it works and chattr +i them as I go. Network-Mangler should
complain, but if it does I am not privy to the conversation.  I still
see it bouncing around in the htop output, but it no longer has the
tools to screw me up.

My linux usage dates to the winter of 1997-98.  Yours?

> Cheers, David.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)