Quoting Gene Heskett (ghesk...@wdtv.com):
> On Monday 30 March 2015 12:45:50 David Wright wrote:
> > Quoting Gene Heskett (ghesk...@wdtv.com):
> > > And, tell that to cups, or if installed, on BEH, which sees it as a
> > > failure & restarts the job, wasting another 40 sheets of paper &
> > > toner by the time you get it stopped by nuking the cups stuff in
> > > /var/cups or /var/tmp, or maybe /tmp, depending on the mood the
> > > installer was in for that version at the time.  You have to go find
> > > it, then get rights enough to nuke it.  Thats at least 2 minutes,
> > > while a 19 ppm printer is churning out paper.
> >
> > What ErrorPolicy do you have set in /etc/cups/printers.conf, and have
> > you tried ErrorPolicy abort-job.
> >
> > Now I know that you like testing your printers with real 80 page jobs,
>
> Your exhuberant guess is approximately 1800 pages short. There are
> almost 1900 pages of LinuxCNC manuals.

I was within 10% of the 88 page jobs you appeared to be using to test
duplex printing ("so I now have 4 copies of an 88 page manual, printed
single sided") reported in

> > but have you thought of putting a stack of discarded output into the
> > feed hopper (to conserve paper) and printing jobs that have a single
> > character on each page (to conserve ink/toner) so you can test the
> > printers reaction to Cancel while you play with the settings.
>
> No. IMO it should just work for the machines owner/operator.

Fair enough.

> > > However, I cannot recall if changes to group are instant or need a
> > > reboot to fully effect them.
> >
> > Neither. Just log in.
>
> New shell IOW.

Not in my experience: neither "$ bash" nor "$ bash -l" pick up new
groups on my system, whereas "$ /bin/su myself" does.

> > > And that is what function?  And can it be removed without
> > > eviscerating the rest of the system?
> >
> > From this thread, and several previous ones, eg "So much for a wheezy
> > install, massive fail", "Okular vs printer, okular 1, printer 0",
>
> I don't at this time recall what I did, other than to remove all printers
> & start all over again, but it now works.
>
> > I can't see how anyone would be unwise enough to copy your
> > configuration (or even base theirs upon yours) as posted in
> > https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2015/03/msg01151.html
> > even if it comes with a "Just Works(TM)" sticker. Sorry, make that a
> > "Just Works(TM) until the next bare metal install, which starts the 3
> > ring circus of getting networking to actually work again..." sticker.
>
> It does, [...]
>
> My linux usage dates to the winter of 1997-98.  Yours?

I'm not certain where we're going with this. I certainly don't claim
any authority or wisdom from longevity of experience. I don't have a
fraction of the knowledge and expertise of many people here.

But FWIW I started playing with linux in 1995 with slackware, using
the umsdos filesystem so that it could share the 500MB disk with MSDOS
6.22 and W3.1 on a 486 with 8MB memory. I was fascinated by the way
the filesystem turned itself "inside out" when linux booted. X was
hopeless as it would just crash. But I was really just learning some
commands ready for when the Open University migrated from Vaxen to
unix, because my background was IBM1130, 360, 370 (mitigated by the
Cambridge Phoenix system), DEC-20 and VMS.

Getting a 133MHz 32MB Pentium with a 2GB disk in October 1996, I moved
to Debian (which wouldn't play with umsdos). This back in the days when
kindly people on this list would roll you a SCSI kernel over the weekend
(thank you, Martin) and Linus was still CCing here. So I just missed
the Debian 1.0 debacle, and started with buzz (1.1). Difficult to
believe it installed from 1+1+3 floppies.

When rex arrived in December, I got stuck because I had a dozen
partitions on my disk and rex only had sda1 through sda8. But
soldiering on, Alessandro Rubini's book on Device Drivers came out
just in time for me to write my first module in 1998. Unlike you, I
didn't have the nightmare of linuxcnc-type stuff because that was
offloaded onto an MC1401 chip through my device driver. But I gave up
all that hairy stuff in 2004 when I retired the first time. My last
custom kernel was with lenny. So jessie is my 13th Debian version.

Cheers,
David.