On Wed, 2015-06-10 at 04:45 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> OK, for some cases ~it works~, but not ~all~ cases. So, enough with the
> warm fuzzies, here's actual benchmark comparison.
>
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=nvidia_nouveau_utopic&num=1
>
> As of October last year, the nvidia supplied driver runs about 6 times
> faster than Nouveau. I run 3 different 3D environment test
> server/clients. Imagine that stretched across 4 monitors via 2 video
> cards and still get acceptable performance, with all of the bells and
> whistles turned on. Sweet ...and running under Linux.
>
> And here is a test run 5 days ago, between Intel, AMD and nVidia using
> only libre drivers. For a change  AMD ran the wheels off of nVidia with
> Intel slinking in the corner.
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=phx-open-11&num=1
>
> Last benchmark, comparing video cards with native drivers on Linux. This
> time nVidia mostly ran the wheels off of AMD. Intel still ain't equal to
> either by a long shot.
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amdnv-phoronix-11&num=1
> <http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amdnv-phoronix-11&num=2>
>
> So, in summary, I've always used nvidia as it's the same money as AMD
> and Intel and is generally always faster with the nvidia drivers. So,
> while many will piffle and claim to not be a gamer, what about video
> editing? 3D Immersive education? Think you might want to do that at some
> point in your life?? I'm all about Open Source. But, I'm not about
> deliberate trashing of expensive hardware "for the cause". Nor do I
> recommend it. " Be ALL that you can be." :) Ric

As longs as you don't spend your time staring at benchmarks, the stuff
works and it is getting better all the time. Especially when people
spend their time actually using and supporting it.

I have no trouble believing that we can use free drivers for pretty much
anything soon. Part of the problem has been that developers are
favouring Nvidia, instead targeting more open standards like OpenCL.

Sure, there are a few cases, like dual-GPU, multi-screen GL, that's not
supported, and might not be, but those are corner cases.

If proprietary Nvidia works for you, and if that is the best choice for
the OP, I'm glad it's an option, but we need free drivers, and for most
users it's a very good experience.

--
Cheers,
Sven Arvidsson