Quoting Bret Busby (bret.bu...@gmail.com):

> >> xmodmap ~/.xmodmap-`uname-n`
> >>
> >> bret@bret-Aspire-V3-772-UbuntuMATE-1504:~$

That's quite a hostname!

> >> "
> >>
> >> Which I will test, the next time that I reboot (which probably will
> >> not be for a few hours).
> >>

> > Unfortunately, this path of action, has turned out to be quite harmful.
> >
> > At first, it took away my <End> key functionality, and now I have lost
> > the functionality of the cursor control keys, and so have to disable
> > the numberic keypad, in order to access cursor control positioning.
> >
> > I have tried to restore the default settings, to no avail.
> >

> And the <Page Up> and <Page Down> keys, and the <Home> key, have also
> stopped working. It is a bit like Langoliers or Pacman, eating the
> keyboard functionality.

I've no idea what you've put into .xmodmap but I think that's quite a
blunt instrument to be using. As you're obviously only concerned with X,
I'd have thought that the "potted recipes" at the end of
/usr/share/X11/xkb/rules/base.lst would be sufficient, and these can
be set from XKBOPTIONS in /etc/default/keyboard.

Cheers,
David.