On 25 March 2016 at 21:01, Alan McConnell <a...@his.com> wrote:

> First, thanks for all the responses.  They fell into two classes:
> those who advised repeating tapping/pressing on either the F!!
> key or the Delete key.  I've done that dozens of times, and
> received no responses.   And I can't change the screen which
> asks me which kernel I want to boot.  I get the top entry, and
> that's that.
>
> Others have suggested changing /etc/default/grub.  I've tried
> that too, and have run 'update-grub' afterward.  It doesn't seem
> to have done anything.  Perhaps someone can post an example of
> an /etc/default/grub where the boot order is explicitly described?
>
> I have found the paper manual for this, aftee some searching<g>.
> It is labeled like the picture that appears on the boot., except
> that it has Z97 and H97 on the bottom, and is labeled User Guide
> It doesn't assume any kind of problem with accessing the boot
> menu.  But it does give a URL for Tech Support:  register.msi.com .
> There you have to sign up.  I've tried to sign up, but without
> success.
>
> There you have it.  I'm stymied on all fronts.  Again I plea
> for help!

​Maybe you could try this:​

​
http://www.cnet.com/uk/how-to/how-to-change-the-boot-order-of-a-dual-boot-linux-pc/
​

ie use an ubuntu package called StartUp-Manager

also see the grub cusomizer package used in ubuntu produced by Daniel
Richter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gaImxC-grU

It can change boot order.

There is another package for Ubuntu called rEFind that might be helpful:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/refind/

http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/index.html
MF

​There are some extra suggestions here:​

​
http://www.zdnet.com/article/seven-ways-to-set-up-multi-booting-with-windows-8-and-linux/
​

Regds