Alan McConnell composed on 2016-03-26 14:57 (UTC-0400):

...I think it fortunate
        that this E-list contains an expert of the quality of...

Please, let's not think of me so much expert as experienced. I can't count the times I've fumbled a keyboard connector into the top port and found the BIOS yammering keyboard failure. If I was a true expert it wouldn't have taken me nearly two days to recognize you did the equivalent, or typed purple when my brain knew green before sending my first thread reply of the day.

As long as PS/2 ports have existed, it's unfathomable that BIOS makers apparently still have not figured out how to have either port support a keyboard at POST time. Instead, many, or maybe most, have taken to providing only one, or none.
--
Happiness is providing a solution for a baffling problem.
                                                        Me :-)

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/