On Saturday 19 August 2017 23:07:01 Celejar wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Aug 2017 11:47:34 -0500
>
> Mario Castelán Castro <marioxcc...@yandex.com> wrote:
> > Hello.
> >
> > Currently I use rsync to make the backups of my personal data,
> > including some manually selected important files of system
> > configuration. I keep old backups to be more safe from the scenario
> > where I have deleted something important, I make a backup, and I
> > only notice the deletion afterwards.
> >
> > Each backup snapshot is stored in its own directory. There is much
> > redundancy between subsequent backups. I use the option
> > "--link-dest" to make hard links and thus save space for files that
> > are *identical* to an already-existing file in the backup
> > repository. but this is still inefficient. Any change to a file,
> > even to its metadata (permission, modification time, etc.), will
> > result in the file being saved at whole, instead of a delta.
> >
> > Can you suggest a more efficient alternative?
>
> There's Borg, which apparently has good deduplication. I've just
> started using it, but it's a very sophisticated and quite popular
> piece of software, judging by chatter in various internet threads.
>
> https://borgbackup.readthedocs.io/en/stable/
>
> Celejar
Amanda has quite intelligent ways to do that. I run it nightly and have
been since the late 90's. Storage in my case is in what are called
v-tapes, which in fact are directories on a separate, terrabyte drive.
However, unlike tapes which are time burning sequential reading devices,
the terrabyte drive is true random access, so recovery operations are
about 1000x faster than real tapes. Not to mention the terrabyte drive
is about 1000 times more dependable than tape can ever be.

That drive had 25 re-allocated sectors when smartctl came out all those
years ago, and still has that same 25 sectors marked bad and re-assigned
right now.

5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   100   100   036    Pre-fail
Always       -       25

240 Head_Flying_Hours       0x0000   100   253   000    Old_age
Offline      -       66095 (35 137 0)

Pretty good for coming up on 67,000 head flying hours... :)

Seagate Barracuda's of course, pure "commodity drive" at less than a $70
bill.

But when I do replace them, the first thing I do is goto the Seagate site
and download the latest firmware for that drive to a cd, reboot to it
and let it update the drives firmware if it finds old firmware.  What
you buy from the box houses is often first run stuff and may be 20
revisions out of date.  The drive will probably be faster, once going
from 26 megabytes/second to a hair over 120 megabytes/second. Sata is
slow, old Asus mainboard shows under 3GB/sec:
root@coyote:/etc/avahi# hdparm -tT /dev/sdc
/dev/sdc:
 Timing cached reads:   4882 MB in  2.00 seconds = 2441.26 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads: 348 MB in  3.00 seconds = 115.84 MB/sec

Amanda and I have had our differences, but at the end of the day, it Just
Works(TM).  And has been for around 18 years here.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)