I have no problem with different applications being open in each workspace.

What I would like would be to be able to do is have differing sets of applications available in each workspace.

Currently all workspaces have icons to access _identical sets_ of applications.

For example one might have one workspace having a set of tools for writing/debugging software, another with a set of tools for researching Mesopotamian Architecture, and one focused on creating a weekly blog discussing advances in fly fishing.

I chose disparate sets too convey an idea I couldn't describe well.
Is there a more appropriate tool that maintains the "look and feel" of the MATE desktop? Comments?
TIA