Richard Owlett schreef op 2018-07-24 23:00:
On 07/23/2018 07:56 AM, floris wrote:
Richard Owlett schreef op 2018-07-21 17:02:
Just installed/used wine for first time ever.

The Wine version in Debian Stable is very old and unsupported. You should use the WineHQ packages or use the version from Backports

Did that
done dat
I've T shirt

Which wine version do you use?

I attempted to run an installer which asks a typical set of questions
to which I chose the defaults. It is setup to run a demo on
completion. The demo appears to run correctly. I ran the same
installer on a WinXP machine which appears to run identically.

I have two problems.
On exiting the installer nothing has actually been written to disk

Wine uses a hidden folder ~/.wine as it default location. Did you check that location?

Non-informative

Maybe I don't understand your "nothing has actually been written to disk" But when I try the installer with the default settings, the program is installed in:

$WINEPREFIX/drive_c/users/<USER>/Local Settings/Application Data/OLB
(C:\users\<USER>\Local Settings\Application Data\OLB)
OLBLite.801  PocketOnlineBible.801

and
$WINEPREFIX/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Bible
(C:\Program Files (x86)\Bible)
Desktop.Idt  HelpEng.Chm  messages.eng  Paragrap.map  TutorEng.Chm
Dsp.wav      Icons        OlbDel.Exe    SDPath.Txt    VIReadMe.Eng
Go.Bat       Install.Msg  Olb.Exe       Std.wav       WhatsNew.Eng

Second, early in the question asking phase, a message appears on my console:
$ err:trash:TRASH_MoveFileToBucket Couldn't move file

That is the message that prompted this post.
What is it trying to say?
Is there a catalog of Wine error messages (didn't find one)?

In Wine version 3.12 there isn't such message.

Oh *NO*
u answered question ???

Every two weeks there is a new wine version with a lot of bug fixes. Probably this bug is resolved.
Now only a "fixme" warning is printed:
0009:fixme:file:MoveFileWithProgressW MOVEFILE_WRITE_THROUGH unimplemented

To answer your "is there a catalog of Wine error messages?" question.
No, there isn't a list with "error x happend -> the message means this -> you should do this"

You could read the FAQ, the manual and the forum on winehq.org if you look for error messages.

*SNICKER*

I was vainly attempting to determine that what I saw on my console was
a WINE or an APPLICATION error message.

It has been *YEARS* since I've actually used my WinXP machine. Don't
know how to copy/find appropriate file(s) on my WinXp machine in order
that WINE might attempt to execute.

---
Floris